In order to be considered for the program, you must complete all of the following items:
✔ Complete the Start Up Saturday application.
✔ Sign and submit a non-disclosure agreement and media release.
✔ Submit your 1–2 minute YouTube video link.
✔ Pay the $35 application fee.
- Submit your credit card payment online, or
- Mail a check to The Women's Small Business Accelerator, Inc., 403 West Main Street, Westerville, Ohio 43081
What is the WSBA?
The WSBA is a non-profit organization with a mission to help all women business owners, regardless of net worth or education level, achieve their business ownership dreams through empathy, mentoring, and education. Through our support and educational programs, the WSBA strives to reduce the failure rate for women microbusiness owners, thereby improving our economy through business growth and job creation. Learn more now...
What happens on Start Up Saturday?
When you arrive, you will be assigned to an experienced business owner and WSBA board member who will act as your sponsor for the event.
- After you sign in, you will spend 10 minutes with your sponsor who will help you with pitch preparation.
- You will then have 5 minutes to complete your pitch to the pitch panel.
- Once you finish your pitch, there will be an additional 5 minutes allocated for the pitch panel to ask you questions.
- The remaining 5 minutes in the pitch room will be devoted to feedback from the pitch panel, providing you tips and recommendations for making your business concept, well…pitch perfect!
- Finally, you will meet for 10 more minutes with your WSBA sponsor to review the feedback you have received and to talk about additional opportunities.
Overall, you should expect to spend approximately 60 minutes with us on Start Up Saturday.
What happens if my pitch goes well?
That depends on you! There will be people on the panel with investment dollars that might be interested in your product or service. While we’re not guaranteeing that you will receive a loan or investment, this is your time to build those relationships.
What happens if my pitch does not go well?
It’s still great news! You’ll be among other business owners who can give you valuable feedback based on their own hard-earned experience, industry expertise, and years of hard-earned knowledge. While you may not have been pitch perfect this time, you’ll leave this event with the wisdom and knowledge that could surpass what you would learn in any business school, or even in a lifetime!
What is The Inspired?
The intensive educational programs meets more than 70 hours over a 6-month period of time. During these 70 hours you will experience classroom time, hands-on experience, and one-on-one time with a business expert helping you write your business plan. We meet once each month for 8 hours (on a Saturday), and then touch base via a one-hour conference call each week. Learn more now...
How do I become eligible for a scholarship for your educational program?
Every person who participates in Start Up Saturday and completes their pitch and final feedback sessions will be entered into a drawing to win a partial scholarship for our intensive education program, The Inspired.
Why do I have to pay?
First and foremost, we firmly believe that a nominal investment on your part demonstrates that you are serious about your business. Additionally, the fee to participate in Start Up Saturday covers the costs to rent the facility, coordinate with you to send you your videos, and the ability to do marketing.
All applicants must submit a 1–2 minute video describing their business/concept and why they think they qualify to participate in the Start Up Saturday. This video does not need to be professionally produced (cell phone or web cam videos are acceptable). The video must be published on YouTube and submitted to the WSBA before the application deadline.
How many times can I participate in Start Up Saturday?
All participants must complete an application and short video each time. Space at each Start Up Saturday is extremely limited. If you are unable to get into a Start Up Saturday, we reserve the right to re-assign your application to a later program date. Admission is not guaranteed and we may have to resort to gently, but firmly, pushing you from the nest. Sometimes, all you need to launch is a little nudge.
Attention all Women Entrepreneurs!
Do you have a business idea? Are you ready to launch your company, but lack the confidence? Are you looking for feedback on how to sell your business idea, product, or service? Are you looking for a program to learn how to set up and run your business? Would you like to pitch your business to an investor panel (think Shark Tank) made up of successful business owners and maybe even a few angel investors? Would you like to win a partial scholarship to The Inspired Educational Program?
If you answered YES to even one of these questions, then Start Up Saturday, brought to you by the Women’s Small Business Accelerator, is for you!
What you will receive:
- Preparation time prior to your pitch with your exclusive sponsor—a WSBA board member and woman business owner.
- Opportunity to pitch and receive feedback from the pitch panel.
- Video recording of your pitch, Q & A, and feedback.
- Additional review time with your sponsor post pitch.
- Entry into a contest to win a partial scholarship to WSBA’s The Inspired Educational Program for start-up and emerging companies.
- Confidentiality agreement signed by all WSBA sponsors and pitch panel to protect your intellectual property rights.
Ready to join us and get your business off to a great start?
You and your business must meet the following criteria:
- Woman-owned business (at least 51% or more ownership).
- Must be a startup up at any stage between ready to launch and 3 years in business.
- 18 years old or older.
- Complete the Start Up Saturday application.
- Sign a non-disclosure and media release prior to attending Start Up Saturday.
- Submit a 1 – 2 minute video describing your business/concept and why you think you qualify to participate in the Start Up Saturday.